Factory: Mex Mode, S.A. de C.V. (formerly Kukdong International Mexico S.A. de C.V.)
Key Buyers: Carhartt, Fanatics, Nike, Reebok, VF
Last Updated: 2022
2022: The WRC investigated a complaint filed by a newly-formed, independent union and found that the factory had violated workers’ rights to freedom of association. The factory agreed to partial remediation of these violations but did not fully remedy the violations that occurred.
2008: The WRC launched an inquiry in response to allegations, brought to the attention of the WRC by the office of the American Center for International Labor Solidarity in Mexico, that workers had been subjected to violence and intimidation inside the factory and that the Mexican government had illegally intervened in the internal affairs of a labor union.
2001: Kukdong workers filed complaints with the WRC following Kukdong’s alleged discharge of five workers who asserted several workplace grievances, and following Kukdong’s alleged failure to reinstate hundreds of workers who participated in a work stoppage protesting that discharge and other matters.
- WRC Factory Assessment: Findings, Recommendations, and Company Response – October 5, 2022
- WRC Assessment re Mexmode – July 3, 2008
- Resultados y Recomendaciones (en español) – July 3, 2008
- WRC Second Report – June 20, 2001
- Informe Segundo (en español) – June 20, 2001
- WRC Preliminary Report – January 24, 2001
- Informe Preliminar (en español) – January 24, 2001
In the news:
- “Mexican Labor Protest Gets Results” – New York Times, October 8, 2001
- “No Justice, No Contract: The Worker Rights Consortium Leads the Fight Against Sweatshops” – American Prospect, June 29, 2001
- “Year of Strides for Workers’ Rights” – The Middlebury Campus, April 4, 2001
- “Give and Take: Nike has Realized Some Criticism Can’t Be Ignored” – Chronicle of Higher Education, March 30, 2001
- “Fighting Sweatshops” – Arizona Daily Star editorial, February 5, 2001
- “Rights Group Scores Success With Nike” – New York Times, January 27, 2001
- “Anti-sweatshop group finds abuses at Korean factory” – Chronicle of Higher Education, January 26, 2001