Join us May 14 at the WRC Annual Meeting
|To:||WRC Affiliate Universities and Colleges|
|Date:||February 12, 2019|
|Re:||Join us May 14 at the WRC Annual Meeting|
As the University representatives on the Worker Rights Consortium Board of Directors, we write to invite you to the 2019 Annual Meeting of the WRC University Caucus. As you know, this will be a one-day meeting held on Tuesday, May 14 in Washington, DC.
Please RSVP, as soon as is convenient, to the new WRC Office Manager, Kimberly Capehart, at Kimberly.Capehart@workersrights.org or by replying to this message.
We will start our day at 9:00 a.m. (light breakfast will be available from 8:30 a.m.) and conclude at 4:30 p.m. The meeting will be held at Georgetown University’s School of Continuing Studies in downtown DC, located at 640 Massachusetts Avenue, NW.
The WRC staff, along with invited speakers, will be updating us on the WRC’s work in addressing key issues in the collegiate garment supply chain, including:
- Combating the nonpayment of legally required severance pay in the collegiate garment supply chain;
- Collecting wages illegally denied to workers;
- Protecting garment workers’ right to speak out about code of conduct violations in the context of increasing authoritarianism in key garment-producing countries;
- Pressing for continued safety improvements and respect for workers’ fundamental rights in Bangladesh; and
- Engaging licensees in remedying violations in factories from India to El Salvador.
As always, WRC staff will provide updates on key factory investigations and remediation efforts at university licensees’ supplier factories around the globe, as well as reviewing organizational developments. There will be ample time for participants to raise any additional issues of interest or concern.
We very much hope you can join us. WRC staff will be circulating a detailed agenda in the coming weeks, as well as a list of suggested hotels convenient to the meeting location. If you have any questions about logistical arrangements or the content of the meeting, please reach out to us or to WRC Executive Director Scott Nova at Scott.Nova@workersrights.org.
Alixe Holcomb (Board Chair), University of Arizona
Craig Westemeier, University of Texas at Austin
Geoff Chatas, Georgetown University
Kyle Muncy, University of Connecticut
Scott Kelley, DePaul University