WRC Webinar: Protecting Garment Workers’ Rights during the Pandemic
The WRC invites our university affiliates to a webinar on Protecting Garment Workers’ Rights during the Pandemic
December 8, 2020
1:00 p.m. ET
Please join the Worker Rights Consortium, at 1:00 pm ET on December 8, for a discussion of our efforts to address the sweeping impact of the global Covid-19 pandemic on workers producing university apparel.
Workers across the global apparel supply chain are facing extraordinary challenges. Loss of jobs and income is leading to hunger among garment workers and their families. Financial pressure on suppliers, driven by the pandemic and by buyers’ response, has increased the risk of labor rights violations. These dynamics affect collegiate and non-collegiate factories alike. In short, times are as tough for garment workers as they have ever been, and they are getting tougher.
In this webinar, we will provide an update on the WRC’s efforts to protect workers’ well-being and uphold university codes of conduct amidst this crisis:
- Engaging factory owners and licensees around the root causes of the rash of wage theft and other violations we have documented;
- Pressing major brands and retailers to honor their financial obligations to suppliers;
- Conducting new research into the impact of the global pandemic on workers and their families;
- Addressing unsafe operating conditions, both by issuing guidance and responding to tragic cases of garment factories becoming coronavirus hot spots; and
- Addressing worker complaints, factory-by-factory.
This event is free for WRC affiliates but requires registration; please register to receive the Zoom link.